Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bing-Ring.com versus Google

Well for the first time, I accidently used Bing-Ring.com, Microsoft's newly branded website. I wanted to figure out how to turn off the pernicious automatic updates in Adobe Acrobat. I was using my boss's computer (trying to speed it up) and he unfortunately only had Internet Explorer installed. Bing is the default search engine in the little box in the upper right hand corner and I didn't realize that until it was too late. Here are the results:



As you can see, none of the links returned offer any direct solution to the problem. Possibly, in the first link I may find an answer in that thread in those adobe forums. Even weirder, the third link has nothing to do with Adobe at all and is specifically a windows-oriented site.

Here is Google's result:




Practically every single link there gives me the kind of answers I am looking for.

Obviously, this isn't a scientific test but it basically confirms what I had suspected. Microsoft's search engine sucks.

But let's talk about their marketing for a moment. Let's see, they have the biggest name in computing and instead of using it, they hire some retarded band of consultants who probably did a bunch of "brainstorming" and "market research" and "focus groups" and then came up with a generic sounding name with a bunch of arguments justifying why it will help catch eyeballs and attract people to the site.

Hey geniuses, how about "Microsoft Search"?

Note to the consultants: In Canada, a bing-ring is a vulgar term used most often by adolescent males. It refers to the ring of feces surrounding the base of the penis after that penis has performed an act of sodomy. Another job well done, Microsoft!

I ask you all from this day forwards, when referring to this mediocre search engine, to use the term bing-ring.com until Microsoft wakes up and takes it and its heinous ads off the market.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.