Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lending my heart to San Francisco

So there will be an exciting change of pace for you Briques de Neige fans.  I have been given the opportunity to work out of our San Francisco office for the next three months.  Though I will be missing some of my favourite time of year in Montreal, I am very psyched to get to know San Francisco better.  I'll be staying above my parents' garage here in Berkeley, a city which I know fairly well already.  San Francisco, though, I only really know as a tourist.  It will be cool to work there and to explore it.  I plan on sharing that exploration with anybody interested through this blog.

I'm really not sure where I'll be going with this.  I will definitely be taking a lot of pictures and talking about the day to day issues that will come up here.  I'll always be looking at things with a comparative lens, see how things line up here versus Montreal.  I don't know if I'll be as focused on municipal politics here, as it is just so massive and I don't know much about it, but you never know.

My immediate impressions are that the flora in Berkeley is astoundingly beautiful and varied.  It's like some bourgeois high-taste pastoral fantasy.  San Francisco is architecturally beautiful, just so much to look at on every block.  The west coast politically correct thing is not exaggerated (I'll be getting to that).  And medical marijuana is the hot new growth industry.  Oh yeah, and everybody seems to have an iPad.

More to come, so stay tuned!

Just some beautiful building I pass on my way to work.  I think it's the police station



1 comment:

Christian Jarry said...

Too bad to hear you're going to be out of Montreal for so long but it's an exciting adventure. Hope to see you when you get back. Have fun and I'll check your posts.